Behaviour en route
Hiking and mountain biking
SwitzerlandMobility, together with the Swiss Hiking Federation, SwissCycling and the Swiss Council for Accident Prevention, recommends the following rules of conduct:
- Where possible, use the trails signposted for you.
- Let cyclists and mountain bikers pass without unnecessary hindrance.
Cyclists and mountain bikers
- Where possible, use the trails signposted for you
- Ride looking ahead and make others aware of your presence in good time (e.g. bicycle bell)
- Reduce speed when approaching hikers or in places where there may be hikers
- Give hikers priority
- Take into account the effect on the trail by riding in a considerate manner (e.g. no skid marks on unsurfaced trails).
- Comply with signs (e.g. push cycle). Respect the rights of land owners (e.g. no riding off existing trails).
How to safely encounter a livestock guardian dog
Walking trails may sometime cross through pastures. On a pasture you have to adapt your behavior in relation to the animals around (cows, sheep’s, guardian dogs ...). By respecting certain basic rules you can contribute to ensure that encounters between humans and animals stay calm and safe. You can inform yourself previously with interactive maps to know where you might encounter a herd of sheep protected by livestock guardian dogs.
The most important rules for encounters with livestock guardian dogs:
- Minimize disturbing a herd of sheep or the dogs: stay calm, avoid rapid movements and keep good distance from the flock.
- If the guardian dog is barking and runs into your distance: stand still, give the dog some time to evaluate the situation, this is his job. Keep your distance from the animals and avoid provoking the guardian dog with rapid movements or your sticks. When the dogs is accepting your presence and is calming down, you can slowly continue your way. If possible avoid the flock. Don’t feed or touch the dogs.
- If a guardian dog is not calming down for a long period, then try to bypass the sheep keeping a large distance, if the terrain allows it. Otherwise turn back.
- We strongly advise you not to bring your dog with you. Dogs will, similar to their relative the wolves, be fought off by the guardian dogs. If you are accompanied by a dog, make sure it is on the leash.